Why is SRPS for You?
• Designed for Beginner Farmers — (5 years or less) in goats and sheep. Of course all producers are invited to take part in the classes.
• SRPS will help you learn the basics and how to properly implement sound management practices into your operation.
• Producers who have been in the business for three years or less will have a personal mentor to help answer questions and give advice.
• SPRS participants will have a two year, free membership to the Goat Herd Improvement Program (and this is good for sheep too).
• Participants will receive a wide variety of resource materials including a notebook, publications, subscription to HoofPrint Magazine, the Kentucky Sheep and Goat Management Calendar and much more.
• SRPS graduates can apply for the New Beginning Farmer Loan offered by the Kentucky Sheep and Goat Council.
Class topics will include:
• Nutrition (available at the December 10 class at the KSU Research Farm).
• Genetics & Selection.
• Market Trends & Niche Marketing.
• Fencing, Shelters and Equipment.
• Parasite Management (FAMACHA Training offered at the Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio (KIO) Tri-State Small Ruminant Summit).
• Foot Care and Hoof Trimming Workshop (available at the December 10 class at the KSU Research Farm).
• Health Management (will be taught at the KIO Tri-State Small Ruminant Summit).
• Record Keeping.
• Breeds of Goats & Sheep (including pros & cons for the most popular breeds in Kentucky).
• Development of Annual Production Systems.
• Record Keeping.
• Hands-on Body Condition Scoring Workshop — (available at the December 10, class at the KSU Research Farm).
SRPS is five classes over six months — (you will attend the September, January and March classes in the same location).
• Lyon County Extension Office.
• Grayson — County Extension Office.
• Barren — County Extension Office.
• Clark — County Extension Office.
• Boyle — County Extension Office.
• Trimble — County Extension Office.
• September 10.
• October 1.
• December 10.
• January 7.
• March 11.
• Current KGPA & KSWPA Member Fee $100.
• Non-Member Fee $130 —
Registration Deadline: September 1. Participants can register at either www.kysheepandgoat.org or by calling 502-682-7780.
For more questions regarding SRPS, contact Kelley Yates at 502-682-7780 or firstname.lastname@example.org.