Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Texas sets up hay hotline

Another load of hay westbound on Interstate 30 between Texarkana and Dallas.


When I was driving home last week from the Labor Day sales in San Angelo, I was amazed at the number of 18-wheelers that I met on Interstate 30 hauling hay into the state. I have been well-aware of the ongoing drought and friends had told me how scarce (and expensive) feed was. But it really hits home when you see truck after truck after truck loaded with hay headed for the drought area.


The Mississippi Market Bulletin, published bi-weekly by the state department of agriculture, has a front page bulletin this week promoting the Texas Hay Hotline. After a little research, I discovered that many states through the middle United States  are participating in the effort to find and ship hay to needy ranchers in Texas. The Texas Hay Hotline provides an extensive list of sellers and shippers.





No comments:

Post a Comment