Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A cultural exploration of the other red meat

by Laurel Miller (RSS feed) on Oct 10th 2011 at 11:00AM

goat meatThere are goat people, and then there...aren't. We're like dog people, except we can't carry the objects of our obsession in our purse. There aren't city parks dedicated to goats.

grew up with goats because my brother and I raised them for 4-H. When we got our first dairy goat in the mid-'70's, my mom tapped her inner hippie, experimenting with making yogurt from the prodigious amounts of milk produced by our doe. And while no one in my family could be accused of squeamishness, it was an unspoken rule we'd never use our goats for meat. Although my mom claims it was because she preferred to donate the young bucks to Heifer Project International, I now realize she just didn't want to see those adorable little kids sizzling on our grill.

Now that I'm older and more gluttonous, I know that goat makes for some fine eating, whether it's mild, milky-tasting suckling kid, or adult animals cooked down into flavorful braises (think think less gamey mutton). Yet, while a staple in Latin America, Africa, the Caribbean, Middle East, Central Asia, and parts of Europe, goat has never been popular in the United States outside of specific ethnic communities.

To read more, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment